Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Philosophy Exactly: Eat & Run by Scott Jurek


I just finished Eat & Run by Scott Jurek and I can say that I'm truly impressed by the book and him as a whole.  I picked up the book at the local library a few weeks back and happened to crack it open over the weekend during some down time.  I recognized Jurek's name from multiple articles about ultra-marathoning in Outside magazine and from other extreme sports resources. I've been hoping to increase my running mileage but I've been concerned about trying to have the energy to go such distances without putting myself in unhealthy situations-- due to lacking calories and/or water-- so I picked up the book looking for some insight.

What I found was less of a how-to guide and more of an inspirational biography.  He tells about how he got into running and how he became so good and it.  Jurek also describes his close relationship with what he eats.  What's especially unique about him is that he's a vegan.  That means, no eggs, no fish, no dairy, and certainly not any meat.  What's also interesting is the fact that Jurek is trained as a physical therapist, so he actually understands the science behind the running madness and the ailments unique to distance running.  I especially enjoyed this aspect of the book because it explained so much.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, Scott talks a lot about spirituality and states of altered consciousness-- specifically in respect as to how other cultures view distance running or even seek it out for its mind-altering states.  I particularly enjoyed his explanations of monks using running for spiritual reasons and I became familiar with many of the the names of the best-known ultra-marathons and time-based races (i.e. races that last for 24-hours and then deem a winner based on the number of laps achieved).  

Another aspect of the book I found interesting was that from what I could tell, Jurek ended each chapter with a recipe he uses on a regular basis.  From his descriptions of food and culture, it's apparent that many cultures run and eat while running-- and they don't just eat gels-- instead there are bean burritos, rice balls and various smoothies. My mouth waters just thinking about the idea of eat REAL food, with real veggies and fruit.  With this, Scott does a nice job talking about how he ran across each recipe and yet he never crosses the line of being preachy about veganism.  He recognizes it as a personal choice and choice that makes sense for him because of his love of cooking and his appreciation for how the food makes him feel and perform. 

While the book may focus around ultra-marathoning and Scott's preparation for the ultra-marathoning, I found the descriptions of the race themselves very compelling.  I enjoyed reading about his travels and interactions with the locals and the other racers.  At times the book is very much about the journeys to and from the races.  It's very humanizing to read about how he managed to endure through injuries, hallucinations, freak weather and running induced sickness like cramps and vomiting. While many may see running as a very linear, static sport, Jurek shows that it's anything but.  Instead, he shows how often the "tough guy" is outdistanced by the seeming underdog.  With this, I definitely appreciated his mention and praise for a fellow female ultra-marathoner, Ann Trason.  I appreciated the fact that he went out of his way to recognize her more than once because I think he realizes how much of running is mental and seeing a woman do well in the field is very liberating for many who would not necessarily consider themselves the next likely G.I. Joe. He often states that the distance is a great equalizer because the distance is forgiving as far as speed and it becomes more of a race of wills.

I'm hoping to buy this book soon in order to add it to my collection of biographies with some inspiration, but also because I'm eager to add more vegan recipes to my repertoire. This book is definitely suitable for teens, even though there's some cussing when Jurek quotes one of his friends, who is a notorious bad boy.  The overall message and inspiration are well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment